Alternative Fuel Provider Adds Diversity and Stability to Fleet Customers’ Supply Chain Plus the Convenience of an Underbody Tank
For fleet managers considering the popular Ford F-150 pickup truck, Westport now offers two alternative fuel options. Introducing a new dedicated, liquid propane system, along with Westport’s compressed natural gas (CNG) package for 2016 Ford 5.0L F-150 trucks. Both fuel options are part of the Westport WiNG™ Power System and are expected to be certified to EPA and CARB standards.
“We understand that many fleets use different types of alternative fuels based on availability and business needs,” said Paul Shaffer, vice president and managing director of Westport’s Dallas operations. “By offering dedicated liquid propane in addition to bi-fuel and dedicated CNG vehicles, we are evolving to a full-service alternative fuel provider for fleets operating the popular Ford F-150 pickup truck. We are putting the needs of fleets first and delivering stability to our customers’ supply chain by offering diverse alternative fuel options.”
While most liquefied petroleum gas (LPG or propane) offerings in the market today take up valuable truck bed space, Westport's tank packages will be located underbody, thereby creating additional capability and productivity for fleets.
The benefits of Westport’s new liquid propane system include:
- standard 24 gallon underbody fuel tank or optional 16 gallon tank,
- simplified maintenance of an easily replaceable inline filter,
- no additional scanning tools required for diagnostic service,
- fuel pump life expectancy of 150,000 miles, and
- consistent volumetric efficiency resulting in superior power and emissions when compared to existing vapor propane systems.
Westport’s liquid propane modifies the fuel to meet the engine’s design, while vapor systems attempt to modify the engine design to meet the needs of the fuel. The new system will give superior propane vehicle performance with liquid delivered to the same intake port as gasoline, providing:
- air charge cooling to increase the density of incoming air and making the engine response equal to or better than gasoline,
- liquid delivered to the intake port provides intake valve cooling and some upper cylinder lubrication from the oil drop out at point of vaporization in the intake, and
- best overall throttle response than any other propane fuel system technology.
Westport is taking advantage of Ford’s new natural gas and propane gaseous-prep package, which is now available on MY2016 vehicles. Designed to transport passengers and cargo, the 2016 Ford F-150 offers a 5.0 L engine with improved emissions compared to gasoline. The new aluminum alloy body reduces the weight of the truck by as much as 700 lbs. In addition, the existing Ford OEM warranty remains intact.
For more information about the Westport WiNG™ Power System visit westport.com/wing or contact FordSales@westport.com.